Wednesday 27 August 2014

Marc Jacobs Supercharged Gel Foundation Review

Hey beauties!

I bought a new foundation two months back and I've worn it several times now and took notice of how it wears. I guess it's time to post my review on it!

Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Super-Charged Foundation
MY SKIN TYPE:
1. Dry - Normal skin (depending on weather)
2. Sensitive skin

1. PRICE AND PACKAGING

SEPHORA - USD $48 / SGD $75 for (30ml or 1 fl. oz.)

I dont understand why makeup prices in Singapore/ Australia are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I mean, drugstore foundations are SGD $30! $30 is enough to buy 6-7 Happy Meals and make 6-7 kids happy! But such is the price to pay for beauty. (Pun intended)
  1. Frosted glass packaging with silver accent 
  2. Lightweight bottle 
  3. Black plastic cap 
  4. Comes with a pump 
  5. No SPF (Could not find the SPF on the box) 
2. COLOR/ SHADE
Even though this foundation is available in 16 shades (as per Marc Jacobs' website), however I don't think they sell all the 16 shades here in Singapore Sephoras. I saw only 8-10 shades on display. I got the Sephora Sales Assistant to colour match me and she picked out Shade 44 Golden Medium. (For reference i am NC40 in MAC, 3W1 Tawny in Estee Lauder, Punjab/Stromboli in NARS and N125 MUFE HD)

I could get away with one layer of 44 Golden Medium however putting on a second layer of the foundation will start to look green on me. I would say that the colour I got isn't straight up yellow but has a slight greenish tint to it. Perhaps most ideal for NC42 - tan and olive skin tones.

However, 16 shades in total is not a wide enough colour range to cater to the mass since we all have different undertones and overtones.


3. CONSISTENCY AND COVERAGE
When i checked the website, it says that the foundation contains coconut water extracts. But it sure don't smell like coconut to me. It smelled like straight up rose. For someone who's particular about smell, i would say that this will be mildly annoying since the scent does linger on the skin for a while. Also, my sensitive skin always have had bad relationships with products that contained rose extracts or "rose" scents/perfumes.

The name Supercharged "GEL" does make me expect a gel-like consistency however it is totally liquid. When pumped out onto the back of my hand, the foundation felt very lightweight and very runny.

It has a sheer to medium coverage, slightly buildable. I feel like one need to have a very good clear skin to begin with as the coverage is not enough to conceal major skin flaws like pimples/acnes, scarring or large red spots.

Fortunately, my skin is mostly clear and I don't have major issues with redness around my nose or mouth. However, i do have a small sun spot on my left cheek and one layer does not hide it. So i went ahead and pump a tiny amount and concentrate on stippling a second layer on that particular sun spot to conceal and it seemed to do the job.



Completely melted into my skin like water. Dries to a natural finish. Looks like skin.

HOW IT WEARS THROUGHOUT THE DAY:
I used the Real Techniques Buffing brush to apply. Since the coverage is sheer and has a 'watery' consistency, a beauty blender will soak up more product into the sponge than putting it on the skin.

As per normal, I applied a pea size amount of primer only on my laugh lines since foundations tend to settle and create noticeable lines there. For this review, I only powdered my T-Zone instead of my full face.

(8am) When I first put it on:
~The foundation felt really lightweight on the skin
~ Took about 15-20 minutes to completely set to a natural finish. 
~ Semi-matte, not dewy. 
~ Felt and looked like second skin 
~ Evened out my skin tone.

(3pm) After 7 hours of wear:
~ My cheeks remained matte 
~ Nose and forehead looks a little dewy due to my natural oils forming (but not greasy). 
~ Foundation was still intact on all areas and didn't settle into any lines.

After 7 hours of wear. 
(7pm) After 11 hours of wear: 
~ Starting to feel discomfort on my skin. 
~ The foundation was glowy on my nose and forehead area.
~ The foundation did not settle into any lines however my sun spot was showing. 

I would powder my nose and forehead if i am going to extend the wear of my foundation since i prefer looking matte than glowy. But I guess 11 hours is long enough to have makeup on. I would normally wash off my makeup at this point. But since i didnt have time to put on fresh makeup to meet my boyfriend that night, I thought maybe i could test the staying power of the foundation and see how well it'll last. So i put on some eye makeup and head off to meet my boyfriend.

(9pm) After 13 hours of wear: 
~ Resisting the urge to powder my nose and forehead at the 11 hours mark, i find that my nose and forehead area are shiny. 
~ The foundation were gone on certain areas of my cheeks. 
~ My sun spot on the left cheek was clearly visible. 
~ My right cheek and chin started to itch - probably due to the prolonged wear and also LARGELY due to the rose scent/perfume that I'm allergic and sensitive to. 

I find that I can only use this foundation for short periods of time (less than 7 hours) before my skin starts to itch. :C I love how natural it looked on my skin, but i hated when my skin got irritated after 7 hours of wear.

(12am) After 16 hours of wear: 
~ At the end of the day, my skin looked greasy, especially on my nose, and the foundation has worn off on some areas of both cheeks.
~ The foundation did not claim to be long lasting but i just wanted to test the staying power. I'd say it looks good up to 7-10 hours before it starts to deteriorate and wears off.


THE VERDICT:
❤❤❤ OUT OF 5


I would give higher rating if it
a) Didnt make my skin looked green when i applied 2 layers.
b) Has got no perfume/scent
c) Does not irritate my sensitive skin

I recommend this to anyone with dry to normal skin, not so much to those with sensitive skin.

For reference on how sensitive i am, my skin reacted badly to Boscia brand products even though they claimed to be "ALL NATURAL". My skin was literally omitting heat, peeling and flaking when i used their products.

This foundation is not recommended if you:
1. Have combination / oily skin because this will slip and slide on your face
2. Want full coverage
3. Hate foundations with scents
4. Allergic/Sensitive to scents/perfumes in foundation
XOXO,
Zia Rahman
Beauty Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment